Tuesday, June 11, 2013

One and Only?


One and Only is a new book about parenting and the questions surrounding the existence of an only child.

It is a deeply personal choice to decide to have a child at all, and the fact that there is still a stigma regarding families with one kid is saddening.

Kids are a LOT of work. While the joys of parenting are tremendous, one's inner and financial resources can be dramatically strained by the responsibilities that come with having multiple children. 


The author, Lauren Sandler, explains:

Here are some things I want: I want to do meaningful work. I want to travel. I want to eat in restaurants and drink in bars. I want to go to movies and concerts. I want to read novels. I want to marinate in solitude. I want to have friendships that regularly sustain and exhilarate me. I want a romantic relationship that involves daily communication beyond interrogatives and imperatives—I want to be known. 


Hubby and I are dealing with the decision to have more children. I am a sibling, and I love my brother dearlyit has been wonderful to have that indescribable bondwe are essentially built-in best friends. I would love Baby Bee to have a similar experience. On the other hand, Hubby is an only child, and doesn't feel like he missed out on anything. He's extremely well-adjusted and one of the happiest people I know.

I think you just have to know what you want for your life, and follow through in kind. If you're prepared and willing to make sacrifices, then go for it Duggar-style. If not, then stick with one (or none). The choice is yours.




No comments:

Post a Comment

In the spirit of positivity and sincere exchange, please comment in a respectful fashion.