Saturday, January 12, 2013

Cold Shoulder


Having a cold is the worst. I started feeling symptoms about 10 days ago, and so did my hubby. We kept our fingers crossed that Baby Bee would stay healthy, and she did, for a while.

On Thursday morning, she had a runny nose, and then her symptoms over the next few days grew worse. This was her very first cold, and so you can just imagine how troubling it was to watch our normally energetic, joyful, and happily hungry baby change to a lethargic, feverish, and sad one. She wouldn't eat, and that was rough.

We looked in our parenting book, and online for what to do for her. Hubby went to several stores to find a humidifier and to Walgreens at 5am on Sunday to buy saline drops for her nose. However, I believe that your instincts and guidance from the pediatrician are the best tools at your disposal. Basically, I had to think about how I feel when I have a cold or fever: Food is the furthest thing from my mind, and all I want to do is rest.

So, that's what Bee did. She rested a lot. She nursed when she wanted, and ate a few bites of food. When we took her to the pediatrician, her fever had broken. She got a clean bill of health other than her cold, which should clear up in a few days. We bought her "baby Gatorade" (Pedialyte), and she's doing really well. Her appetite is almost back to normal, and I will breathe a huge sigh of relief once her cough is gone, and her nose stops running.

We are so thankful that she's getting better. So, my only question is, "When do I get to rest up?" I'm still sick too!