Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I Can See Clearly Now



It happened. I now wear glasses. When I was in college, it became de rigueur to wear glasses as an accessory, even if you didn't need them to improve your vision. I had two pairs: dark-gray ombre cat-eye, and rectangular tortoise. The look was trendy, fun, and cheap. 

Now that I know the reality of wearing glasses, I still want to be trendy and fun (cheap is is virtually impossible when it comes to prescription eye wear). The "nerd" look is back in, so I went with a classic dark tortoise pair. I suppose that the specs suit my editorial work, but I made it through 8 years on the desk before the anvil fell on me.

What I can't get over is that I'm getting old. It's not just that you get wrinkles around your eyes as you age. The actual lenses of your eyes age too! Yes, that might be a naive statement, but I just never thought about it. I don't want to be old! Okay, yes, I do. I just want to retain my youthful fervor without realizing that I'm aging. Does that make sense?

Perhaps it's all in the mind... aging is part of life, and there's truly nothing you can do to stop it. However, instead of fighting against the inevitable changes, maybe we should embrace them. The most important thing in this whole scenario is that I can see more clearly now. Bonus: Thanks to my old eyes, I can relish a whole new type of wardrobe! 

I'm curious... How long have you worn glasses? How did you feel when you had to start wearing them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the spirit of positivity and sincere exchange, please comment in a respectful fashion.